You are here
Battery Storage Expert Programme
Battery Storage Expert Programme
Exploit the opportunities and
lead the future of energy storage.
We’re at a tipping point. Renewable energy generation and flexible consumption are poised to reshape the market. Driving this is innovation in battery storage with the flexibility to offer flexible solutions across a breadth of sectors. But to fulfil this potential and realise the promise of the €255billion opportunity that battery represents in Europe alone, we need the next-generation skills, competencies, vision and leadership to truly make change happen.
The Battery Storage Expert Programme is a game-changing learning journey. The programme addresses the critical questions that underpin the structural transformation of our energy systems. You will explore it all, from the role of batteries to their constituent parts; from the battery value chain to the integration in power applications; from the impact on the electricity market to ground-breaking business models. And you build the knowledge, the expert understanding, the technical and commercial insights and the human network to play a leading part in driving the global energy transition.
Integrating innovative online teaching and a hands-on practical workshop at EnergyVille in Genk, Battery Storage Expert Programme is delivered by experts from the InnoEnergy ecosystem, one of Europe’s foremost authorities in sustainable energy, energy storage and business innovation. This unique programme empowers you to:
- Expertly situate battery storage within the route towards a zero-emission society and decentralised energy market
- Link energy storage strategies and roadmaps to European policy
- Master the fundamental aspects and main characteristics of current battery technologies and relate them to battery parameters
- Compare emerging battery technologies and competing energy storage technologies identifying their strong and weak points
- Gain deep understanding of the battery value chain and identify the main challenges at each step
- Grasp battery life cycle assessment, recycling and second-life strategies
- Build expert knowledge of battery management, control and modelling of battery energy storage systems
- Summarize different applications of Battery Storage related to the electrical grid, to mobility (HEV/EVs), to industrial operations and to consumer electronics
- Expertly assess the potential and relevant challenges of implementing new battery energy storage business models
Participants will be granted a professional certificate upon successful completion of the programme.
What will you study?
The Battery Storage Expert Programme immerses you in the transition to a sustainable energy system and low-emission society forward and what the role of batteries in this puzzle is. You will find out what electrification will mean for large sectors such as mobility, industry and the electricity system and which new business models exist to bring new opportunities. And you will acquire a comprehensive overall view across the battery energy storage value chain.
Your learning journey is broken down into six distinct courses that are delivered online giving you the flexibility to learn at your own pace:
- Course 1: Examine the challenges faced by the energy system to accommodate the upcoming changes and how batteries can promote and accelerate this transition looking into the drivers and barriers for relevant business models implementation.
- Course 2: Discover the electrochemistry and operating principles of batteries including current, emerging and cutting-edge battery technologies.
- Course 3: Explore the entire battery value chain, from manufacturing to recycling focusing on sustainable growth of the battery sector and ethical and environmental aspects.
- Course 4: Build the knowledge and skills to ensure battery cells perform in a conformant way before being implemented in different types of applications.
- Course 5: See how battery energy storage is disrupting the energy space through battery storage applications, and examples of innovative business cases.
- Course 6: Analyse market conditions and assess how innovative new business models can fit with regulations within the EU but also on a national level.
You will also come together with your peers and expert faculty in a face-to-face activity, consolidating and deepening your knowledge and analysing business relevance. During this activity you will look into each of the components of a battery storage system and you will look into the definition of a compelling business case for energy storage, to position yourself and your organisation ahead of the curve in the energy transition.
How will you learn?
The programme consists of a combination of online courses with a follow-up by a topic specialist, and a face-to-face activity, all in one package. The course start and end dates are fixed and subscribers to the programme need to follow the fixed course schedule.
You pursue six online courses at your usual study location, exploring the academic and industry challenges, issues, and dimensions at a pace and rhythm that meets your needs. You will receive support and coaching during the weeks of the course at predefined time slots, by a topic specialist, who will be available for two hours to answer questions and give further explanations on the course content. The online course contents will remain open for the learners until one and a half months after the end date of the last course. In-lesson quizzes serve as formative self-evaluation, and will not count towards the achievement of the course certificate.
Final Assessments after each course will be the basis for the evaluation of your achievements by the topic specialist and consists of multiple-choice questions and open questions. To successfully complete the programme and receive a Certificate of Achievement of EIT InnoEnergy, you need to obtain a score of a minimum of 75 % on each Final Assessment. The submission of the Final Assessment is due at the end date of each online course. A possibility is given to retake the Final Assessment if you do not manage to achieve the required score.
At the end of the programme you come together with faculty, experts and peers at an immersive, experiential face-to-face activity hosted by EnergyVille in Genk where you will share perspectives, bring your learning together and enjoy hands-on sessions and laboratory time led by industry experts. You will also have an opportunity to prepare to think about your own future action plan.
If you have any additional questions, see our list of frequently asked questions:
Who are the experts?
University of Hasselt
Energy and Climate
Industrial Strategy Executive
National Laboratory of Energy and Geology (NLEG)
Global Marketing Manager
Electrification at Epiroc
Full professor and Vice President
Instituto Superior Técnico
Instituto Superior Técnico
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Co-founder and COO
Education Business Manager
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Product Manager Electrical Storage
Faculty of Engineering and Science head of Subdivisie EnergyVille Electa
Electrical Engineering at KU Leuven/Energyville
Jorge Varela Barreras
Imperial College London
Research and Analysis Manager
IHS Markit Technology
Inorganic Chemistry at Uppsala University
Head Process Research & Innovation
University of Hasselt
Managing Director and COO
R&D team leader
Electrochemical Storage, IMEC
Jacques Delors Institute
Researcher at University
Who will teach you?
The EIT InnoEnergy consortium is a leader in sustainable energy education and leverages the combined expertise of many of Europe’s foremost technical universities, business schools, industry experts and innovation start-ups. Your learning will be led by experts from the EIT InnoEnergy ecosystem, authorities in sustainable energy, energy storage and business innovation from the worlds of research and industry.
Is it right for you?
This blended course has been specifically designed for professionals and researchers who work within the energy ecosystem. Participants come from many different countries and typical participants include:
- Graduate and master-students interested in completing their studies with a battery energy storage specialisation
- Engineers wanting to specialize in energy storage
- Anyone with a non-engineering background working with battery applications
In order to be able to follow and benefit from the course you would need to have a:
- General understanding of the electricity system
- Basic knowledge of chemistry and electrical systems
- Basic understanding of electrical systems modelling
If you are interested in this course and would like more information to help you decide if it is right for you, please contact Jan Verveckken on +31 646 959 657 or via email@example.com
Alternatively, you can request a call-back and we will contact you