You are here
Fundamentals of Batteries
Fundamentals of Batteries
The threat of global warming and climate change are accelerating efforts to decarbonise our systems. In energy, battery is at the forefront of this charge. Simply put, battery technology will be part of the future.
Fundamentals on batteries course empowers you with the fundamental knowledge and insights to advance your understanding of battery technologies. You will fully understand the key role of batteries as the go-to tool for energy storage, together with the core components and parametres of batteries themselves. You will explore the electrochemical phenomena that lie behind battery operation and a concise view of the different currently available battery technologies. Lastly, you will get a peek at principal and emerging technologies that are poised to reshape the energy panorama.
Delivered by experts from the InnoEnergy ecosystem, one of Europe’s foremost authorities in battery storage, this unique course gives you the rock-solid understanding and the skills to:
- Summarise current battery technologies in terms of working principles and main characteristics
- Understand the limitations of each technology based on their working principles
- Predict the most suitable applications for each battery technology
- Reflect on the challenges that each battery technology faces
- Evaluate emerging, cutting-edge battery technologies and their potential applications.
Participants will be granted a professional certificate upon successful completion of the course.
What will you learn?
Battery Storage Expert course consists of four modules, is self-paced and it is structured as follows:
- Module 1: Discover the added-value of batteries in both our daily life and in the development of a low-carbon modern society. Our experts will provide you with key knowledge for a deeper understanding of battery technology. You will take a look inside a battery to understand its basic operation and main components and you will learn to classify battery technologies.
- Module 2: Explore the phenomena that occur within a battery during operation and provide you with in-depth knowledge on the thermodynamic aspects of battery operation and relate them with the common battery parameters.
- Module 3: Investigate the different battery technologies that are currently used in our daily life and learn to explain the key characteristics and main applications of eight currently available technologies, starting with the widely used lithium-ion batteries present in most of our electronic devices.
- Module 4: Take a peek at the future and explore two important emerging battery technologies: metal-air batteries and solid-state batteries, to understand the potential and challenges behind these cutting–edge technologies.
Who teaches you?
Your learning will be led by experts from the InnoEnergy ecosystem, authorities in sustainable energy from the worlds of research and industry. Faculty for Fundamentals on batteries course are:
Full professor at the department of Chemical Engineering, researcher at CQE and Vice President of Instituto Superior Técnico. Her scientific interests include the development of functional surface coatings for multipurpose applications in different fields such as surface protection and energy conversion and storage
Scientific co-worker at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) in Belgium and Honorary Professor at the University of Birmingham. Jean-Luc has also worked in the European Commission (EC) where he was Head of the Program Unit for the Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking up to 2016
Jorge Varela Barreras
Senior researcher at Imperial College London in the Department of Mechanical Engineering,where he works on batteries and battery management systems
R&D team leader in Electrochemical Storage at IMEC. Maarten has completed research and research education in physics at KU Leuven while having master level studies in Electrical Engineering also at KU Leuven. Maarten is focused on developing the next generation of solid-state battery, with an interest in ALD technology and the development of novel nanomaterials for the cause.
Online for optimal impact and flexibility
Fundamentals on batteries course is a Small Private Online Course and can be taken at your usual study location.
The course consists of four modules and is self-paced. Each module includes reading materials, and animations to illustrate the content. You will be able to share your opinion and thoughts on relevant topics will via the discussion elements throughout the course.
Is it right for you?
This course has been specifically designed for professionals and researchers who work within the energy ecosystem. Participants come from many different countries and typical participants include:
- Graduate and master-students interested in completing their studies with a battery energy storage specialisation
- Engineers wanting to specialize in energy storage
- Anyone with a non-engineering background working with battery applications
Get in touch with our admissions team now: firstname.lastname@example.org / M: +46 (0)7 31 566 996