You are here
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector
Discover the most important aspects of patents and how to make intangible assets emerge.
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector is an innovative program blending virtual live sessions with online learning to help you discover industrial and intellectual property and patents, and to understand how protect your ideas. Explore effective strategies for managing intellectual property rights, as well as the company structures and licensing mechanisms that can be used to create value from your work.
Enterprising companies at the vanguard of this change are leveraging new and emerging technologies like smart grids and Artificial Intelligence to accelerate the energy transition. But they face a major challenge: the need to protect their intellectual property (IP).
The complexities of the energy space, where new technologies are being merged in innovative ways, mean that patent management is critical. For start-ups, patent protection is crucial in attracting customers and venture capital. For enterprise-level players, collaboration with newcomers is key but challenging because of IP hurdles. While for the EU and other public entities, complex regulation around intellectual ownership can hamper funding of important collaborative projects.
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector is your fast track to understanding and building the skills to innovate with security in the renewable energy space. You gain mastery of the complex legal issues surrounding IP, as well as insight into the opportunities out there to commercialise new technologies.
Intellectual Property inand the Energy Sector empowers you to:
- Interpret and leverage complex patent documents.
- Understand the functions of claims and how they regulate freedom to operate.
- Use copyright with scientific articles, software, databases and more in the contexts of publishing and commercialisation of technologies.
- Appreciate how IP and patents in particular can help drive business goals.
- See the link between patenting strategy and the value of an invention.
- Master the basics of IP protection through NDA and consortium agreements.
- Negotiate agreements using the concepts of background, foreground and sideground information.
- Communicate effectively with IP specialists.
What will you learn?
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector is expertly designed to help you build the critical IP skills you need as an innovator in renewable energy. You will quickly become familiar with the core legal insights and concepts you need to know how to apply for patents successfully. And you will learn how to leverage the opportunities created by IP in the commercialisation of new technologies.
Topics covered include:
- How intellectual property (patents, designs, copyright, trademarks, industrial secrets) can be used for commercialising your inventions.
- How to search free online patent data bases, monitor technical fields and interpret patent registers.
- How to search online trademark data bases and create a trademark strategy.
- How to create a patent strategy: cost-benefit analysis, alternatives to patenting.
- The basics of licensing and creating a licensing strategy.
- Validating freedom to operate: How to search for competing solutions and look out for infringement.
- Other types of formal intellectual property and associated processes.
- Protecting your results in a research collaboration with public funding.
- Strategies for negotiating non-disclosure agreement and consortium agreements.
- Legal limitations for public funding (state-support rules) and funding practices.
How will you learn?
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector over four weeks online (3 hours/week) and 10 virtual classes, 20h over 2 weeks (10h/week) via online, pre-recorded, and scheduled, synchronous online seminars.
Your learning is enriched by real-world case studies that bring new issues, concepts, and ideas vividly to life. You will also be able to discuss your own ideas and perspectives with fellow students and faculty online.
The course is divided into two parts:
- 4 weeks of self-paced online modules to include IP basics (3 hours per week).- Online Education for IP basic: Before the virtual live classes start all participants have to complete the Online - 'Intellectual property: Patents, Patentability, and Patent Infringement'
- October 12-23 2020: 10 Scheduled online seminars (2 hours per day).- Virtual classes will be held Monday-Friday between 9-11 am.
Who are the experts?
Team Leader of Innovation and Technology Transfer
Senior Advisor on Innovation and Technology Transfer
Project manager within the field of Innovation and Technology Transfer
Who will teach you?
The InnoEnergy consortium is a leader in sustainable energy education and leverages the combined expertise of many of Europe’s foremost technical universities, business schools, industry experts and innovation start-ups.
Is it right for you?
Intellectual Property in the Energy Sector is designed for entrepreneurs, technology transfer professionals, and researchers working within energy technology, renewable energy, engineering, and consultancy.
At the end of the programme and after successful completion, you will receive a certificate with a LinkedIn integrated URL that verifies your achievement.
If you are interested in this course and would like more information to help you decide if it is right for you, please contact Ulrika Hynell on +46 706 685 092 or via firstname.lastname@example.org